top of page

Eat What You Want and Still Lose Weight


What if we told you you can eat what you love and still lose or maintain your weight? It's all about balance and you can absolutely enjoy the best of the holidays without being stressed about enjoying your favorite foods. Adopting the 80/20 rule is ideal when it comes to balance. That is 80 percent of the time you are eating healthy foods and the other 20 percent you are enjoying chips and salsa and a margarita with your friends at dinner. When you are eating good, think about filling up your plate with about one-half of vegetables and fruits, one-quarter of whole grains and one-quarter of protein with some healthy fat. Now that is one healthy plate. Be sure to choose foods you enjoy the most to make it enjoyable, too. Losing weight at a slower pace is also the way to go. A safe, sustainable amount of weight to lose is about 1/2 pound to 2 pounds per week. However, this may look more like 2 to 3 pounds per week in the beginning, then 1/2 pound down the next week, then up a pound the next week. Then there is the maintenance part for a few weeks before dropping a pound again. Don’t get discouraged to quickly if this seems to be the pattern for you. Balance is truly key. The more you move, the more calories burnt in a day, so keep moving at any given moment! If you have the opportunity to take the long way, do it. Take breaks from work and walk around; play around with the kids and just keep moving. . Follow these tips to change your mindset about food and overall, eat better and healthier:

  • Portion control. This is a big one. Too much of anything is bad (yes, even healthy foods!) Choose a smaller plate, and give your body at least 20 minutes to digest and feel "full" before you go for seconds.

  • Savor the flavor. Enjoy every bite and be mindful.

  • Move more every day. The more you move the more calories you burn. Add more movement every day to rev up your metabolism and enjoy your food.

  • Fruits and veggies first. Start off with a salad or fruits and veggies before you dig into the stuffing. That way you can still enjoy mashed potatoes and gravy without overdoing it.

  • Cook the healthier version of what you love. If you love broccoli casserole, substitute Greek yogurt or healthier mayo or other fatty ingredients with something a healthier.

  • Use protein as a hunger-buster. Protein satisfies hunger better than carbs or fat, so add some lean protein to every meal.

Trainers Spot offers a fantastic 180 Program that partners with Gray Nutrition. For 6 weeks you will strength train with a certified personal trainer 2 - 3 times per week all while getting access and guidance to a great nutrition program to help change your mindset about how you eat and what you eat. Then, you get an awesome stretch from a certified stretch specialist plus access to our in house In Body machine! Contact us at trainersspotgym@gmail.com.




9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page